Pilgrim Diaries #4 - 27 February, '09

Itís been a while since I did much on Pilgrim, that was planned as there are several other major jobs on plus the dayjob is tending to take time away from important things.

Over Christmas and summer Iíve built a flagstoned courtyard and a wooden Deck which was essential for winter access to the house, have been completing some of the interior so we can better use the house and have now only the laundry to do to make it really habitable, (plenty more to do before its fully complete but we will be able to live in reasonable comfort) , and have emptied the workshop out onto the hardstand area and carefully put it all back so I donít need to use the lounge floor to draw out the new boat's components so although there has not been much to show Iíve been flat out busy.


B2 cut roughly cut out Next are the slots for stringers spine and king plank
click images to enlarge


Marking out the stem This time I am using the drafting weights from my drawingboard.jpg

But yesterday I got started again and anticipate spending a couple of hours a couple of times a week. I drew out and cut B#2 from the ply sheet, researched hatches and have decided on a hatch model SPA-40205 from So-Pac Marine in Auckland not far from here. These along with the Model SPA-30310 and SPA-30308 round hatches that Iíll be using in other parts of the boat are made here in New Zealand, and I understand are available in some US outlets. They are really solidly made, have built in o ring seals, are resistant to UV degradation and are large enough to give good access to the spaces behind. In the case of the large hatch in B#2 thatís important as the space in there under the foredeck is huge, about 0.6 cubic metre ( about 20 cubic feet) and itís a long way to reach to the forward end of the locker so I need to be able to get an arm and a shoulder through there.

Iíve got the stem complete, sanded off and all the edges rounded. Note that I make a practice of doing as much finishing as I can while the parts are easy to work on, sanding off corners when reaching into inaccessible spaces makes it hard to get the job right and it takes a lot more time.


The stem and B2 slotted together for the first time The step in the stem by my feet is where B1 goes.


A standard 2400 x 1200 sheet was not quite big enough so Ive scarfed in acouple of pieces.

The stem, with its little extension that is used to secure it to the building frame until the boat is ready to roll over, is huge, it comes up to my breastbone when held against me and with the other parts this is beginning to give me a feel of the boats size.

Today Iíll mark out the centercase side, this is another big piece, the case goes down right through the deadwood (the keel between the boats bottom and the lead ballast casting) to seal off the keel and bottom from water ingress. The starboard side of the ďcase ď makes a continuation of the spine that starts with the stem extension, and which runs back until the seat sides in the cockpit take up the task of preventing flex under rigging loads, and the spine also supports the raised section that forms the bunk spaces, water ballast tanks and stowage lockers.

I found a nice little cranse iron in among the oddments left over from the ďResolutionĒ build, it was too small for that but suits the 16 Ĺ footer perfectly. Iíll be sorting boxes of oddments for a while and have no doubt that Iíll find a lot more of use for this project, ďTrade Me ď(our equivalent of EBay) is a great place to shop and several of the purchases for the last project had bits included that were not used for one reason or another and which could suit this one.


I kept picking up blunt tools so had a sharpening day Chisels and saws nextweekend.

It pays to start looking very early on in a project like this, I have been watching for a trailer, or a sad old power boat sitting on a trailer, and if itís the latter that I buy Iíll be stripping the boat of its fittings and taking her to the landfill or a bonfire, and rebuilding the trailer for the new boat.

I donít expect to pay more than a couple of hundred dollars for something like that, but wintertime is the time to look, thats when older folk change their lifestyle and its when grandad might realise that in fact he wont be using the boat that he has not used in many years again, so it has to go. I got a very nice little outboard motor with the last one of these I bought, plus some fishing gear and a whole bunch of other stuff. All well looked after, but the bottom of the plywood runabout had rotted due to fresh water getting under the cover and she was past reasonable redemption. They were glad to be rid of it and I was able to sell off the bits I did not need.

Onward, Iíll be resawing some 2 by 8in kauri into 1 by 8 on the bandsaw, thatís for the frame edges and stringers. I have some Australian Jarrah ready for the centercase logs, and was very pleased to have a call from a friend a couple of weeks back. Its always good to hear from Craig, but this time the call was doubly welcome, heís had a change in his life, moved house and wont be building another boat. He wanted to know if Iíd clear out the boatbuilding ďstuffĒ from his garage, no charge, just take it away! The screaming sound that ensued were the tyres on my car as I swung out onto the road with the trailer on and headed off toward his house a couple of hours away. We came back with several sheets of marine ply, glue, clamps, paint, tools, solid wood all cut to size, a small workbench which has gone to my friends place, and a box of assorted fittings. Thanks Craig, Iíll give you a shout on launching day so you can be a part of ďyourĒ materials going sailing.